The New Brunswick Association for Community Living (NBACL) is a provincial non-profit organization that supports children and adults with an intellectual disability, and their families, so they can live with dignity, respect and a sense of belonging in their community.
The New Brunswick Association for Community Living (NBACL) in Moncton, NB is currently accepting applications for a volunteer opportunity with young independent women we support in the Social Inclusion program. The role of a volunteer is to act as a social mentor; the individual will be responsible to participate, with the individual, in recreational activities, volunteer opportunities, social activities or events and other aspects that ensure the individual’s full participation in the community; by building new relationships and friendships in the community.
Experience volunteering or supporting individuals with an intellectual disability or other vulnerable person is considered a strong asset (not a requirement);
• Must have a clear criminal & vulnerable record check (free/must be willing to obtain);
• Must have a clear Social Development check (free/must be willing to obtain);
• Must strongly support the values of inclusion, equality, community participation, respect, empowerment, independence, independent living, etc.;
• Be reliable, punctual & friendly;
• Respect for individual integrity;
• Be inclusive-minded;
• Having a vehicle is considered a strong asset (not a requirement).
Why Should You Volunteer?
• To have a sense of connection with your community;
• To learn new skills and have new experiences;
• To explore new interests;
• To find your passion;
• To grow your network;
• To build a strong resume;
• To have the benefits of a better overall mental and physical health.
• You must be able to fully communicate in English; as the individual speaks only English.
This volunteer opportunity is recommended to start on bi-weekly basis. The volunteer and the individual may decide to continue on a weekly basis or a bi-weekly basis. The hours and times together can be very flexible and may vary depending on the availability of the supported individual and the volunteer; such as days, evenings and some weekends (you both will be making the decision together). We recommend the volunteer spend a minimum of an hour at a time with the individual on each outing, community explorations or times together.
Are you looking to give back to your community and develop new relationships?
If so, please forward your resume as soon as possible to:
New Brunswick Association for Community Living (NBACL)
Attn: Shawn Austin, Supported Living Facilitator
Fax: (506) 856-2788
Mail or in person at: 77 Vaugh Harvey Bld. Main Floor. Moncton, NB E1C 0K2
Do you have any questions regarding this opportunity? Please feel free to reach out by email at: SLVAMoncton2@nbacl.nb.ca.
Please note: We thank all applicants for their interest in this volunteer opportunity, but wish to advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.